© Sammy Hawker
Dark Matter Residency 2022
PhotoAccess now invites artists at all stages of their careers to apply for our Dark Matter residency. This residency provides a supported opportunity for artists to produce new photo-media work that incorporates (but is not necessarily limited to) darkroom-based or other alternative processes.
PhotoAccess is the ACT and region’s centre for contemporary photography, film and video and media arts. Located in Canberra, at the Manuka Arts Centre, we are a non-profit, member-based organisation fostering the creation, sharing and appreciation of photographic culture and photo-media practice.
Each year, PhotoAccess presents a dynamic program of exhibitions featuring local, national and international emerging and established photographers and photo-artists, together with accessible public talks, events, performances and artist residencies that foster critical debate about, understanding of and engagement with image practice. We are home to the only publicly-accessible darkroom in the ACT region and support a vibrant community of makers working in contemporary darkroom and alternative photo-media processes.
Dark Matter is a partially supported residency program offering one artist the opportunity to use PhotoAccess’ darkroom and other facilities to produce new work to be exhibited in a PhotoAccess Huw Davies Gallery solo exhibition. The residency aims particularly to foster the creation of innovative still and/or moving and/or 3D image-based works that:
- involve artistic experimentation and innovation
- encourage, develop and extend critical debate about contemporary darkroom-based practice
- explore social, political, environmental and aesthetic questions of contemporary relevance
- propose to present an engaging and innovative public program in association with the residency and exhibition
The Dark Matter residency includes, for the successful artist:
- free and extended access to the PhotoAccess darkroom (including chemicals) for the duration of the residency,
- technical and conceptual mentoring and support from PhotoAccess staff, Members and tutor faculty;
- media and online content promoting the artist’s residency program; and
- the opportunity for the artist to present, towards the end of 2021, their residency outcomes in a solo PhotoAccess Huw Davies Gallery exhibition. PhotoAccess will support this exhibition with our usual artist support package, including e-invitations and a room catalogue, promotion and media communications, gallery staffing and security and a catered opening.
For the first time in 2022, residents will receive free membership with Megalo Print Studio, including access to Megalo’s facilities in screen printing on paper and fabric, intaglio, lithography and relief printing. WHS inductions will be provided for all equipment, and some technical assistance will be available depending on resident experience.
Accomodation, living allowances and travel expenses are NOT included in the Dark Matter residency.
The residency duration and periods of time the artist spends in Canberra will be negotiated between PhotoAccess and the resident, but the residency is expected to run for between two and six months.
PhotoAccess welcomes applications from interstate applicants. Artists from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, LGBTQIA+ and people with lived experience of disability and particularly encouraged to apply.
Image: By Sammy Hawker, 2021 Dark Matter Resident
Applications close: Midnight EAST 16th August 2021.
All applications must be submitted online via the PhotoAccess website. Late applications will not be accepted. All applicants will be notified of the outcome by September 2021.